Saturday, October 21, 2006


Today is October 21 and I have been at work for a couple of weeks on Walkabout. Took awhile to assemble the plywood and find clear Douglas fir. First step in the program was to make a frame to build on. That was easy but difficult to find a level place in my car port to build on. Second step was to join two sheets of marine plywood. First time I have done a scarf joint and the planing of the wood came outreasonably well, but I screwed up the glue-up! I had too much overlap and once the glue set, I had a ridge on each side. Damn.
I wrote to the designer and he advised me to plane down the ridges and reinforce the jont with fibreglass tape and epoxy on the interior side of the wood. Done!
Next job was to measure out and draw the shape of the bottom panel. I loved the precise nature of this work and the bottom panel came out very nicely! In this picture, I had to spread out some clothes to get some idea of the size of the project!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home