Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Second Stringer


Today's task was to install the kingplank, then work on the second stringer. The kingplank went on quite easily as all it required was some scribing and cutting. The second stringer was easier to install too, at least until it got close to the stem. There it had to do a fair bit of twisting to sit nicely in the notch of bulkhead #1 then sit flat on the face of the stem. I got more and more heroic in my efforts, even putting a length of redi-rod through the stringer to pull it in and bring it flat to the stem. No way it was going to go, so I re-cut the joint and screwed it in place with not enough twist. With the recut, the stringer ends a bit shy of the line I wanted, so I shall have to glue on some spacers. I see the twist is going to be even more severe in the lower stringers. I may have to resort to pouring boiling water on the boards to get them to twist, or to attach without the twist and grind the face back to match. Paste a mini-stringer behind if I think it will need the bracing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home