Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sail Trials




The Walkabout has been back to McIvor Lake a couple more times with her sails up. The winds have been light and very erratic, so no real sailing stories yet. First sailing day, Diana was an outrider with the camera and then came aboard for a sail up the lake and lunch in the sun. The boat rigs very quickly and launches easily. I row it out into the lake and raise the mizzen first, sheeting it in tightly. The rudder is lowered and the dagger-board inserted too. The mainsail raises easily using a single pulley at the top of the mast and a topping lift to the aft end of the boom. Once the main is secured at the top, the down-haul is tightened. Next step is to loosen the sheet for the mizzen and start sailing! If I am sailing on my own, I like to lounge on the floor of the boat as shifting my weight throws the boat over to that side, upsetting the little air filling the sail. The few times I have had any real breeze, I sit up on the side 'bench' and smile!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home