Tuesday, October 31, 2006

First of the planks


Seems like a few days since my last entry, yet I have made progress. It took me a couple of days to shape the stringer that is attached to the bottom of the boat. It needed to be bevelled to accept the first of the planks. That done, despite the cold spell we are having, I installed the first of the planks yesterday. Then to give the epoxy some chance of setting up, I covered the baot with a tarp and left a heat lamp glowing all night. Kept it above freezing, but I doubt the epoxy has had enough time to do its thing. On to other parts of the project instead
Yesterday I brought home the aluminum tubing to be used for the masts and yard, boom and sprit. Love all these names. I was not able to find the specified 1/16" wall tubing, so I bought 1/8" instead. Taking the pieces off the trailer, they felt awfully heavy and I worried they would make the boat top-heavy! The main mast felt like it must weigh about 30 pounds! But checking the specs on-line this morning show it weighs closer to 14!. So, I guess I won't worry about having a giant pendulum high above the deck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home