Saturday, May 19, 2007

First Real Sail

Last evening, my friend Diana and I hauled the Walkabout up to Comox Lake as it looked too rough on the ocean. We launched easily and I rowed a few hundred metres out from the launch area. There I raised both sails and we were off! First time in any real wind! I am not good at estimating wind, but the chop was about a foot high and there were a few whitecaps. I had up the full main sail and we both sat on the windward side of the boat. There was barely enough wind to make the boat level, but easily enough wind to make us really move! It was great sailing as we cut through the waves with no heeling. We were able to sail close enough to the wind to make good progress up the lake. Seldom were the gusts strong enough to make the boat heel! We got some spray over the bow, but no real water! After a few tacks, the wind seemed to be increasing and I thought I would practise reefing. I sheeted in the mizzen and dropped the main, tightening the topping lift. The boat bounced with the waves, but did not spin around nor broach. Once the reef was in and the main raised, the boat moved a bit off the wind. Sailing with the reef in was very quiet and one of us had to sit on the lee side to keep the boat from heeling into the wind. Downwind with both sails ahead of their masts was very civilized and we did not roll with the waves. After an hour or so of terrific fun, we sailed back to the launch area and home!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home