Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Quiet evening sail



Tuesday, May 22, I brought my buddy, Miles, and the boat to McIvor lake to take in the evening breezes and sunshine. It was an easy rigging as I left the rudder and boomkin in place after working on the boat that afternoon. Up-line of the cam cleats on the tiller head, I had attached a couple of fairleads which keep the steering lines from popping out at extreme tiller angles. Seemed to be no reason to dismantle the apparatus for a short trip to the lake. Saved some minutes and some tangled lines too.
The winds on the lake were very light. Shook out the reef and raised the sails. Didn't tighten them as much to give some belly to the sails. We casually sailed around the first part of the lake, avoiding the passages between islands where I suspected the wind would not help us.
It was a great first trip in the boat for Miles. I wanted a calm experience to hook him on the joys of boating. You need to only look at his pictures to see he is enjoying himself! As the sun was getting low in the sky, it was time to turn and run back to the car. I jokingly asked Miles if he wanted to row back. He took me up on the offer, so I put the sails to bed, raised the daggerboard and rudder and got him in place on the rowing seat. I sat on the floor at the stern, where every time I leaned back, I caused the tiller to swing down like an axe and bonk me on the head. Only partly done to amuse the crew.
As Miles started pulling us down the lake, I was amazed at his straight path and good speed! "I row with my Mom in her Whitehall"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home