Sunday, May 27, 2007

Tree Island Picnic




Late afternoon of May 25, Diana and I launched the boat at Union Bay. The winds were becoming lighter, but the waves were still pretty high from earlier winds. I set the full main and sailed through the chop for Tree Island. (Provincial Park named Sandy Island) The winds were light enough that we sat on opposite sides of the boat for balance. The trip over was very pleasant with lots of gurgling and slapping of the waves, but no rolling and very little pitching. We arrived at the island in about half an hour (Kayak trips usually take three quarters of an hour or more). The tide was nearing its low, so I nudged the prow onto the beach and let the prevailing wind keep it there. We had a very nice picnic and a walk about the island too. We had the place to ourselves and could have camped anywhere. Save that for the next trip. This island has always been very special for me. Many trips here in my kayak. The tide level was about a foot lower than the boat at departure time. I found a couple of round logs and used them as rollers to get us back afloat. The return trip was slower as we were trying to sail into what was left of the wind. Half way home, I furled the main, removed the dagger board and raised the rudder. Rowing home was not my best speed and I attribute that to having to correct my direction frequently. The mizzen was still up and Diana sat on a cushion on the floor at the aft end of the cockpit. I wonder if the wind was pushing me off course. In any case, I earned my supper after I ate it. We got back to the ramp with an hour or so of available daylight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home