Monday, November 13, 2006

Small Triumphs



Today was a short workday, but I had fun and made some progress too. First thing was to clean up the mast step I made up Sunday then check to see it fit exactly where I wanted it - directly under the hole that the mast slides through in the deck. I put a couple of strips of tape on the diagonals of the square hole in the step and found that they intersected right under the plumb!
Second job was to clean up the pieces of wood I laminated together yesterday to make the boomkin. Some scraping and planing, then it was cut to shape too. I measured where it is supposed to fit in the transom to find that big elliptical(?) hole I cut in the transom to carry the rudder lines is made too tall, coming dangerously close to the underside of the boomkin! Once the boomkin hole was cut, there was very little material left between the two holes! I am not able to make the boomkin any less thick, so I shall make up a brace to keep the boomkin in its place with no danger of it breaking through to the hole below. Final thing of the day was to put on the last coat of paint in the buoyancy tanks. If it is dry by tomorrow, I shall glue the lids on those tanks, and they will have seen the last light of day! I think I will have to write my name inside those tanks, along with the date! Those people who have my e-mail address are invited to add any significant poetry to go in this floating time capsule!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home